Tobago has recorded a second murder this week, bringing the island's murder toll to 11 for 2017. Dead is Richard Ramos Carmona, a barber, of San Juan, who lived at Mason Hall, Tobago.
You are here
Burglars steal bank’s ATM
Burglars broke into the Cunupia branch of Scotiabank on Saturday and stole an ATM vault containing an undisclosed amount of cash.
The bank is located a short distance away from the Cunupia Police Station.
The break-in took place less than a month after burglars broke into the St James branch of the bank and failed to make off with any loot.
According to police reports, security guards who arrived at the bank yesterday noticed the office ransacked and later found that a hole had been cut in the roof of the bank and a vault missing.
Police said the vault was used to dispense cash for one of the two automated teller machine (ATM).
Yesterday notices were posted at the bank informing customers that the ATM was “temporarily out of service” and advised customers to go to another branch.
In the earlier incident, sometime between June 17 to 20 burglars made two attempts to break into the vaults of the bank but left empty handed.
Both break-ins are being investigated by police and investigators believe the criminals in both are the same. Grinders and other tools were left behind in that attempted heist.
A fire scare at RRM Plaza, on High Street, San Fernando catapulted fire officers into action last night. Officers arrived at the building shortly after 5.45 pm and found the building filled with smoke.
Divisional Fire Officer Ramdeo Boodoo said they did a “ventilation of one of the buildings on the first floor to try and get out the smoke.”
He said when T&TEC took off the electricity supply the smoke began to subside. “At this point we have not seen any fire. We are still trying to ventilate to determine what was on fire,” he said.
Boodoo said a hair dressing salon was affected, but other stores could also have been affected by the smoke. Further investigations he said will have to be done to determine what caused the incident.
The 31-year-old man arrested for the kidnapping of a courier attached to the Chinese Embassy will appear in court today charged with kidnapping for ransom, possession of a firearm and other offences.
The El Socorro man will also face charges of abducting another man days before he was captured on July 13.
It was his first victim’s car that the man allegedly used to bundle the courier Sajio Zhang in around 5.30 am last Thursday.
He will appear charged with robbing the first victim of his Honda City as well as robbing him of cash and other valuables.
The man’s first victim escaped and reported the matter to police.
Zhang was rescued by police in Woodbrook hours after he was snatched. A $20,000 ransom had been demanded for his safe release.