After achieving a jump of 16 places in the October 2017 rankings, T&T has dropped six spots to 89th in this month’s Fifa/Coca Cola rankings.
You are here
Make-over for city lighthouse
One of the most recognisable landmarks in the city of Port-of-Spain has been restored and the light once more emits from the lantern room.
Beacon Insurance was recently granted approval to “adopt” the St. Vincent Jetty Lighthouse, and the national landmark a fresh look, inclusive of re-introducing light to the lantern room at the top of the structure, powered by newly installed solar panels to ensure its sustainability. The company said the lighthouse symbol in its logo conveys a similar strength and resilience evidenced by their regional presence for over 40 years and counting.
The lighthouse on Wrightson Road, Port-of-Spain, was built in 1842 by the governor Colonel Sir Henry Mcleod to assist sea traffic for ships entering and leaving Port of Spain’s harbour. It was originally situated at the end of a 120’0” long jetty leading from the seafront, approximately where the south side of Independence Square is now. This was prior to the second and third phases of the reclamation of Port-of-Spain’s waterfront in 1845 and at the end of the 19th Century.
According to the National Trust, the lighthouse has been upgraded in the past but the structure remained the same. The structure leans slightly toward the west, but this has not interfered with its function or stability.
The decoration of the lighthouse from time to time has caused much criticism and controversy, the most recent being when it was wrapped in T&T's national colours to celebrate the success of the country’s football team.