You are here

Maxi driver killed after door slams on gunman

Friday, December 15, 2017

Angered that the maxi door slammed on his elbow, a gunman on Wednesday night opened fire on a maxi driver killing him while passengers looked on in fear.

According to an eyewitness, the killer was in a hoodie and three-quarter pants and stopped just before St John Road, Tunapuna along the Priority Bus Route.

After stepping out and paying the driver, Brandon Dupigny, the killer began patting himself down and told Dupigny he lost his cellphone. The eyewitness stated that the driver allowed the killer back into the vehicle to search the seat on which he had been sitting .

The killer was seated two seats behind the driver. After exiting the second time the killer again began to pat himself searching for the missing cellphone.

As Dupigny began to slowly drive off, the maxi door began closing and slammed on the killer’s elbow. He then pulled out a gun from his waist and fired three shots at Dupigny. Dupigny’s left foot remained on the accelerator and the maxi kept moving forward as the killer ran to freedom.

A passenger in the front seat tried to steer the vehicle but it slammed into a ditch and flipped on the side at St John’s Road. Dupigny and other passengers were removed from the maxi and he was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Speaking with the media at the Forensic Science Centre yesterday, Dupigny’s brother, Steve said his brother was a lover of sports who had been driving maxi for the past 15 years.

Dupigny, originally from Bournes Road, St James, was living at Coalmine, Sangre Grande. The 57-year-old father of four, he said, was a very generous, kind-hearted man who “really cared for people.”

He added that his brother was a churchgoer.

Homicide officers said they could not determine a cause for his shooting as robbery was clearly not the motive. One Homicide officer told the T&T Guardian that Dupigny was “a churchman” and police are stumped as to why he was murdered.