You are here
Alexander shows his class
Adam Alexander (Team Foundation) showed the expectations of an endurance rider as he endured till the end in the curtain event of the night, the 15km Scratch Race (60 laps) when the 2017 Elite & Under-23 National Track Cycling Championship pedaled off at the National Cycling Centre, in Balmain, Couva on Thursday night.
After 30 laps of the race Alexander, Jovian Gomez (PSL Cycle Club) and young Lorenzo Orosco (Team DPS) making his Elite category debut attacked from the main pelethon and maintained that position.
That was until Alexander excellerated again and lapped the main field causing Gomez and Orosco to work hard to just keep their positions with Tyler Cole and Akiel Campbell also working hard to close the gap into the 30th lap.
However, at the final ten laps these positions would now become challenged but Alexander once again opened a lead and endured to be the eventual winner with Gomez taking silver although Tyler Cole placed in front of him but couldn’t have a medal as he too like Orosco are Juniors, and Akiel Campbell (PSL CC) the bronze.
Campbell also picked up the gold medal as the Under-23 top finisher.
The women’s scratch had a promising field of young cyclists making their debut and Teniel Campbell (PSL Cycle club) who has dominated this category for 2017, made sure she was taking home the national title with the Costa sisters Jessica and Alexi (Heat Wave CC) now following in the steps of their father Guy Costa and mounting the podium for silver and bronze medals respectively. Action continued last night at the same venue and will resume today from 11am with the first session followed by an afternoon session
4km Men’s Team Pursuit
1. Team PSL CC ( Varun Maharajh, Akil Campbell, Philemon Justice, Jovian Gomez)—4:31.760 mins
4KM Women’s Team Pursuit
1. Mixed Team (Alexi Acosta& Jessica Acosta/Heat wave CC, Alexandra Bovell/ Unattached, Christiane Farah/Breakaway CC) – 5:24.931 mins
Men’s Team Sprint
1. Rigtech Sonics ( Njisane Phillip, Keron Bramble, Jude Codrington) – 47.151 secs
Women’s Team Sprint
1. Breakaway CC (Kollyn St. George, Dominique Lovell) – 38.215 secs
2. Canadian/ Unattached & Team DPS ( Alexandra Bovell, Tamiko Butler) – 39.389
3. Heat Wave CC ( Jessica Costa, Alexi Costa) —42.299
Women’s 10KM Scratch Race (40 Laps)
1. Teniel Campbell (PSL CC)—15.30.000 mins
2. Jessica Costa (Heatwave CC)
3. Alexi Costa (Heatwave CC)
Men’s 15 KM Scratch Race (60 Laps)
1. Adam Alexander ( Team Foundation)—19:17.009 mins
2. Jovian Gomez (PSL CC)
3. Akiel Campbell (PSL CC)
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff.
Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments.
Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.
User profiles registered through fake social media accounts may be deleted without notice.