You are here

Asher determined to hold b-ball AGM

Published: 
Thursday, December 14, 2017
Obadiah Asher…acting president of the National Basketball Federation of T&T.

In the past three years, the National Basketball Federation of T&T (NBFTT) has not held an annual general meeting (AGM) and this, according to interim president of the National Basketball Federation of T&T (NBFTT) Obadiah Asher, has prevented the sport from progressing.

“Holding an AGM will be the first step towards rebuilding basketball,” said Asher yesterday. “An AGM is supposed to take place every year but we did not have any in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Although there was one in 2015 but it in actuality it was the 2014 AGM.

“Once, we take this first measure, we can start to put things into perspective for basketball to flourish once more.”

Asher was appointed the acting president at the board’s December 2016 meeting, with a mandate to fix the administration with a focus on ensuring that the AGM occurs. The board will get a chance to proceed in this direction following the upcoming AGM carded for January 27.

“Currently there are only two elected members from the last board as all others have resigned over the past years,” said Asher. “So I am advising all zones to get their house in order for proper alignment with the federation and thereby we will be able to disperse plans to build a better future for local basketballers.”

The AGM will provide the opportunity for a fair election process and its members can actively contribute to the development of the sport. Reviewing the previous years and setting targets and objectives for the year to come, have been identified as some focus for the upcoming meeting.
“The AGM is held to conduct business on behalf of the body with it being absent over the years has hindered any advancement in the sport,” said Asher, who has previously served on the NBFTT as technical director from 2006-2014 under four presidents.

The preparation of the senior women’s basketball team for the Caribbean Basketball Championships in June will be high on the list of discussion at the important meeting.

“Both the men’s and women’s teams were registered for next year’s competition but only the first eight teams, who registered first got preference in the men’s competition. Other countries had registered before us.

“If any team pulls out we still have a chance to compete,” said a hopeful Asher, who is focused on getting the administration in place to revive basketball.